You may have noticed these tiny flying bugs around your kitchen drains or near rotting fruits. These flies are known as moth flies or drain flies. Even though they are not considered a true pest, in large numbers they do become a nuisance. In this article we will explore how to control and eliminate.
Where do they come from?
Drain flies enter home seeking moisture and food. Main source of food for adults is decaying fruits and vegetables sitting outside the fridge in the shaded areas. These adults reproduce by laying eggs inside drains where the larvae will hatch and feed on organic matter. Once this adults start laying eggs, drain fly population will multiply quickly. And since there is no need to seek food elsewhere, these drain flies will make themselves at home in your house.
How to control and eliminate?
Just like any other nuisance pest, if you prevent drain flies easy access to food and moisture, their numbers will plummet and eventually be gone. First, we go over how to control adult population.
- Chemical Control
For immediate relief from flying insects, pyrethrin based aerosol is an ideal choice. Be sure to read the label first before applying this chemical. Once they come in contact with the aerosol they will get knocked down instantly.
This method of control is only temporary. As more eggs hatch, adult population will grow again.
- Growth Control:
Drain fly Larvae eat organic matter in the drains and sinks to mature into adults. Adults can survive for 4-5 days without food but they can survive for up to 3 weeks on nectar from decaying fruits.
Remove organic matter inside kitchen drains by regularly cleaning them. There are several drain cleaning products available which specifically target organic matter. Once again, read the label carefully before using any chemical products.
- Food Control:
As larvae start to die to due lack of organic food, you will notice fewer and fewer adults flying around. However, these adults can find other breeding sites quickly and problem could persist. However, if throw away any rotting fruits and keep fresh fruits covered up. These adults will also starve to death or move out of your house to find more easily accessible food source.
Remember, controlling any pest requires time and persistence. If you follow these tips regularly, you will get rid of drain flies in few days time and keep them away as well.
However, if drain fly infestation is beyond these remedies, you should consult with a professional pest control company. Conquest Pest control has highly trained technicians and can deploy various tools to bring infestation under control.
For commercial Drain fly control visit: conquestpestservices.com/commercial/
For residential Drain fly control visit: conquestpestservices.com/pestcontrol/
We are quick to take action when we see a cockroach, ants or other insects crawling around our home or business. What about termites?
Termites are often hidden in the walls and attic. By the time we notice them, they have already done the damage. The two prominent species: Subterranean (Formosan) and Drywood termites, are common in Southeast Texas.
Subterranean Termites: These species of termite is a social insect. They live in large colonies and build tunnels inside their nest. Formosan termite is a subspecies of Subterranean Termites. In metropolitan areas of Houston, Galveston and Port Arthur, Formosan Termites dominate. They destroy woods and cause more damage than any other species.
Drywood Termite: Drywood termite are not as prevalent in Southeast Texas region as Formosan. However, they also pose risk of property damage. Unlike Subterranean Termite species, Drywood Termite do not need soil to expand their colony. They extract moisture from the wood they chew. These species is found in attic and furniture of homes and businesses.
Now that we know little bit about termites, what can we do to control and prevent them? Answer is simple. You need to carry out a yearly inspection for your property. Especially, structures in flood planes and affected by heavy rainfall.
You can do a simple inspection by visually checking any signs of tunneling, boring or damaged wood. Upon seeing such signs, an expert must be hired to carry out more thorough inspection.
The other option is to install termite bait stations around your house where conducive conditions exist. And routinely check these bait stations for any signs of termite activity. These form of monitoring is very effective against Formosan termites. For drywood termites, look for frass near window sills, permanent furniture and wooden fixtures inside the structure. Tap on the walls and note if walls feel hallowed out.
Routing inspection and monitoring is a tedious task. And more often than not, you won’t find any termite activity. However, it only takes one colony to go undetected to bring down your home or business, but if caught early you can save thousands of dollars in damages.
So next time you see a cockroach or an ant inside your home, ask yourself this question: when was the last time I did a termite inspection?
As summer time approaches, mosquitoes become more active and start reproducing at a rapid rate. Houston area residents see an increase in mosquito activity from April to September each year. Lets look at how to protect ourselves from mosquito bite by controlling mosquito breeding.
Keep Mosquitoes Out of Your Home and Yard:
- Repair window and door screens
- Eliminate mosquito shelters in your yard
- Mow grass and tall weeds
- Cut back shrubs and vines
- Treat in shaded areas with a professional pest control application or DIY spray treatment
- Remove tires and junk
Dump, Drain or Change Water:
- Dump or drain water to eliminate egg laying sites.
- Change water regularly in a dog dish, bird bath or plant pot to eliminate nutrients.
- Eliminate any place where water can collect and be retained for 7-10 days, especially when there is organic matter present, such as soil or leaves.
When Water Can’t be Dumped or Drained:
- Use a larvicide for homeowners such as Mosquito DunksⓇ or the Mosquito TorpedoⓇ that are based on Bacillus thuringiensis israeliensis (Bti), a bacterium that produces proteins that are toxic for certain fly larvae.
- These products have little effect on the environment and lower impact than adulticides.
- They are also safe for non-target insects and mammals.
- They are usually effective for up to 30 days.
- The labels describe how these products should be used and how long each product lasts.
What if I still have Mosquitoes around my House?
- You may Contact pest control company like Conquest Pest Control for a professional inspection of your property. Professional technicians use several different methods to kill adult mosquitoes and eliminate breeding sites.
- If your house is near a water detention pond, or large body of water, it is highly recommended to treat your yard every 3 weeks to keep mosquitoes away.
Content Source: https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/browse/mosquito-control/home-yard/
Since 2000’s bedbugs are on the rise. Bedbugs stick to clothes, bags, shoes, and other daily use items. As these items get carried from one place to the other, bedbugs hitch a ride and keep infesting new areas. If you see signs of bedbugs in your home, act quickly and decisively. Delaying treatment will make infestation worst and it will end up costing more money. If infestation is beyond treatable, you may end up tossing away your bed and furniture to completely eliminate bedbugs. Don’t want to do-it-yourself? Request Free Inspection & Quote.
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bedbugs are common household pest. They are mostly inactive during daytime and become active during night to feed on sleeping people. The name “bed” “bug” is accurate name since most bedbugs hang out and hide around mattresses and bed frames. Image below illustrates signs of bedbugs and their hideouts.
How to remove Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs are generally very difficult to control even when using professional help. If you are renting apartment or condominium, you should reach out to the property manager. They can hire pest professionals and help you with bedbug problem.
But if you own your home and cannot afford professional bedbug removal service, then here are simple steps to follow.
- Find out which room is infested. Bedbugs generally find dark and cooler bedrooms very attractive to hide out. Locate which bedroom shows signs of bedbugs. Bites, dark dots on mattress, itchy arms etc. are signs of bedbugs.
- Find a safe place to sleep. While you treat infested bedroom, find an alternate sleeping space away from bedbugs.
- Isolate Mattress and Bedframe. Bedbugs cannot jump, by raising your mattress above floor will prevent bedbugs from climbing your mattress and bedframe. You can also use bedbug interceptors which isolate bedframe’s legs from the floor.
- Bag laundry and washable articles. Use heavy duty trash bags and get all washable fabric from the bedroom. Wash them at high temp and dry them at high temp to kill any bedbugs and their eggs.
- Treating Room with Aerosol and Dust. Raise your mattress and expose bedframe for treatment. You can purchase over the counter bedbug pesticides to apply to areas of concern. Common areas to treat are bed frames, night stands, mattress creases, and perimeter of the bedroom.
- Pro-Tip: Use dust pesticides to penetrate cracks and crevices in the furniture in your bedroom. Dust pesticides have longer residual affect and easy to apply.
- Using combination of dust and aerosol pesticides is required in most cases. Use these pesticides according to the instructions on the label.
- Post Treatment Inspection. After 24 hours of treatment, use a flashlight to thoroughly inspect mattress seams, bed frame and furniture around the bed. You should find dead or dying bedbugs. If you do not find dead bedbugs, then you need to re-treat the room.
Inspect and Treat other areas in you home.
- Bedbugs will hitch hike on your clothes and socks to other parts of your home. Make sure to inspect other bedrooms and sofa(s). It is recommended to treat all the bedrooms and living space if bedbugs infestation has lasted more than 2 weeks.
If you are still get bitten and continue to see signs of bedbugs after 5-6 days of treatment, then you will need to hire a professional pest control company to treat using high temp Heat-Treatment. Conquest Pest Control provides a free inspection and gives you an accurate quote for the entire treatment.
Do you get uninvited guest during winter time? You’re not alone. Of course we are not discussing human guest, but rather the rodents that seek out your home for the winter season. And if they find food and water easily, they will start to reproduce and make your home their own.
What is the difference between Rats and Mice?
If you don’t know the difference, then worry not. In simple terms, mice are ten times smaller than rats. Once they find a suitable shelter, they make themselves at home. Feed on whatever food is easily accessible.
Rats are much bigger in size and sometimes bite at night when you’re asleep. Once they find a suitable place, they frequently visit it for food and shelter during day time.
Even though both these species are different, they live together without any fuss. Since they both share common diet and habitat, often rats seek out homes where mice already exist — as this signals abundance of food and water.
How to get Rid of them?
Both mice and rats enter your home through small openings. These openings are commonly found around your garage door and openings around the water pipes entering the house. Therefore, it is extremely important to prevent any more mice/rats entering your home.
For houses near detention ponds or areas where rodents are commonly found, it is highly recommended to install a bait-station outside the house. Rodents will eat the readily available bait and die before they enter your house. If rodents have already entered your home, these bait stations can still attract them out of your house when they seek out an easy meal. Please note: bait stations only work if rats don’t have easy access to other food sources.
Food and water is primary reason rodents invade homes. By keeping food items securely stored away, keeping garbage lids closed, and fixing water leaks, you can create a non-conducive environment for rodents.
For sever infestation, you also need to add rodent traps. Rats and mice are creatures of habit. If you know where they most often go for food or water, you can add traps in their path to entice and capture them. There are variety of traps available in the market. Some traps are designed to catch them alive so you can release them far away, while others are designed to kill them instantly.
Note: Rats and mice hide out in attic space, or closets during day time. You may need to access these areas to place traps. You need to be careful not to disturb these places too much, otherwise, these rodents will get alerted and skip out on these newly installed traps.
If you have tried these steps and still feel you need more help, you can hire a Conquest Pest Professional. Our technicians have many years of experience in outsmarting these rodents. They can also provide rodent exclusion service to prevent future invasion of these rodents during winter time. You can get your free estimate here.
Cockroaches are found all over Houston. Main cockroach species are American and German roaches.Continue reading